Sunday, May 24, 2009

A piece of iron wire

Sometimes when I see how people are running things, I recall the Hebrew expression "A piece of iron wire – חתיכת חוט ברזל". 

Only the "Old-Timers" remember it, so it is really old-fashioned. The expression reminds us of the times Israel was poor and so were most of its citizens. There was no money to repair things properly, so a piece of iron wire was the default solution.

Instead of taking a task and to plan it "from A to Z" or as the Greeks used to say: "τ Α κα τ Ω", it becomes something like a Quilt. Don't misunderstand me I love Quilts, but only if they are on beds.

When I visited the Erets Yisrael Museum in Ramat Aviv not far from Tel Aviv University I saw an art piece, a mug with a broken handle "fixed" with a piece of wire. It is the Metaphor of the 21st century and the way we plan things.



No comments: