Monday, February 04, 2008

The beauty of great things is in little details.

After finishing my new album: The Great Menorah near the Knesset in Jerusalem , I took the opportunity to look at the pictures more closely.

I thought it would be nice to add to the pictures I made in Jerusalem, some Menorah pictures from the same era, made by people who might have been in the Temple and seen it personally.

So I added a picture from the mosaic in Bet Alpha:


Here we can see 2 Menorot (this is the plural of Menorah in Hebrew) on both sides of the Holy Ark.


I thought it would be nice to look for another picture, so I added a picture from the ancient Synagogue in Tiberias near the Sea of Galilee:


Again we see 2 Menorot at both sides of the Holy Ark.

But when I added this picture from the museum of Katsrin it struck me:





The relief carved in the extremely hard Basalt stone, doesn't leave space for many details, so the artist who made it, had to stick to the most important details only.

We see the beautiful shape of the Menorah and ....
It has 3 tiny elegant feet!
When we look at the modern reproduction of the Menorah based on the Roman relief seen at Titus Arch in Rome, we see one massive base.
A tiny difference, but that is the beauty of looking at small details even when about 2000 years have passed.

No comments: